Girl of the 70's

Monday, May 19, 2008

A friend sent this to me and it really brought back a huge flood of memories...I hope you enjoy this as much as I did

IF YOU WERE A GIRL IN THE 70'S...

You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. Mine was actually orange, but I had it and I LOVED it



You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. But when you fell with these...it really hurt...*grin



You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) I also wanted to be Captain Stuebings daughter so I could be raised on the ship



You had nightmares after watching FantasyIsland. Nightmares? I don't think so...maybe I watched different one....hmmm, maybe time to break out some old shows.




YEAH! You owned a 'Slip-n-Slide' , on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. And I have a scar on my knee from it too...LOL

You owned 'Klick-Klacks' and smacked yourself in the face more than once ! I still have mine (sitting right next to my original rubics cube)...and I didn't smack my face so much as smash my fingers...OUCH...I think they ended up outlawing these because they were so dangerous


Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. Confession time, I still have my Holly Hobbie drinking glasses and I have a cool Holly Hobbie plate that hangs on my scrapbook wall.


You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. And don't forget the the coolots (or however you spell it) and the zip up 'faux leather' boots

You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. And then you would try to 'dig' a hole, so it wouldn't do that anymore
You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (Oh yeah!) With 'streamers' hanging off them

You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the
Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture;
And you despised Nellie Oleson! I actually wanted Nellie's ringlets and to be Mary (she was prettier)


You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! While 'slow' skating....him going backwards and you going forward (or vice versa)

PONG! ('video tennis' ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you've ever heard of ! I remember going to my brothers and he was playing this AMAZING game....I sat and played this with him for HOURS.

Your hairstyle was described as having 'wings' or 'feathers' and you kept it 'pretty'
With the comb you kept in your back pocket.
When you walked, the 'wings' flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna 'take off' I remember my mom telling me to flatten my wings....LOL....and don't forget the comb had a handle and 'big teeth'


You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. I was more of a Holly Hobbie girl...but my daughter loves the New Strawberry Shortcake.

You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic.
With the thermos inside some were glass and broke the first time you dropped them. Ok, true confession here....I had a GOMER PYLE lunch pail and yes...I BROKE my thermos.


You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. They were BOTH mine....and of course, Uncle Jessie....


It was a big event in your household each year when the 'Wizard of Oz' would come on TV.
Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! AND, you got to pick out soda at the store and have a candy, we would plan on this for weeks.


You spent hours wondering : 'Who will I marry.
Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?' David for most of the time...but Shaun did make a pretty good play there towards the end of the 70's.

You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. And the 8 track, then the cassette and now I have the CD. Afterall, Grease IS THE WORD.


You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage,
Or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. The potholders were wierd???? Gee, I thought grandma loved getting them for gifts....


You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. And then you would get really mad at the DJ for TALKING through the beginning and end of the song...DON'T THEY KNOW, you are trying to record it. Plus, trying to get everyone to be quiet in the house...


You thought Olivia Newton John's song 'Physical' was about aerobics. (?? Its not??) REALLY, it's not????



You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it almost dripped off.
Of course, Bonnie Bell was the very best....

6 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh! These made me laugh and go oh yeah, I remember that. The Wizard of Oz thing happened when Sound of Music was going to be on too! Icecream floats and popcorn and it was great!

Unknown said...

Add to it the Charlie Brown specials before Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (I watched them every year).

Too funny - i was just telling the high schoolers I teach about the cassette player thing - they thought I must have been an idiot - if they only knew what we had to work with!

We should have a 70's party sometime! Then we can all make a pet rock!

Can you explain to me the "Physical" thing...?

Regina Easter said...

oh my klo, this was great...tfs

Anonymous said...

Klo,
Thanks for the early morning chuckle! I think the only thing missing was using Dippity Doo on our hair! :)

My daughters LOVE the Dukes of Hazzard. Nothing like a chuckle hearing my girls fight over which Duke they get to marry just like me cousins and I did when it was on originally. :)

Shannon

Gibson_girl5 said...

Hilarious! Makes me think of David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman and my beloved Granny Boots.

But seriously, I really did think the song was about aerobics....

Teri

Lianna said...

I remember when scrap booking was going to the shop and buying the little glitter/picture sheets with all kinds of pictures on them and to get them in the scrap book you had to cut the white tags that would join all the little pictures together and then you had to glue them in, these days they are sticky, no messing about with glue. I found a sheet of old scrap book pictures and i will never open it or cut it it is so precious and the only physical memory of how scarp booking was for me when I was a very young girl.

Visitors